Dr. Lori Martin helped erect this street sign that honors the memory of Cynthia Hesdra. When she published The Ex-Slave’s Fortune: The Story of Cynthia Hesdra in 2008, Martin saved an important figure in local history from obscurity. On May 18, 2015, a monument in Memorial Park will be dedicated to Hesdra as part of a global initiative sponsored by the Toni Morrison Society’s Bench by the Road project.
Martin, a proud product of Nyack’s public schools, believes “we all have a responsibility to be historical detectives, whether it is for our own families or our communities.” This intrepid and inquisitive spirit led her to uncover the story of Cynthia Hesdra.
At the time of the quadricentennial of Henry Hudson’s voyage up the Hudson River, Martin was asked to draft a report on the economic contribution of blacks during the last 400 years by Dr. Susan G. & Dr. Edmund W. Gordon. Her findings were to be presented to a group of middle school students at Rockland Community College.
The fact that Edward overshadowed Cynthia was inexplicable to Martin, because according to her trained eye, it was Cynthia that amassed all the wealth that the Hesdra family accumulated.
“What was striking about Cynthia was her ability, and the ability of many other people of African ancestry, to move from being assets to asset owners,” Martin observed.
When Cynthia Hesdra died on February 9, 1879, she was reportedly worth $100,000, the equivalent of 2.3 million in contemporary dollars. Allegations of fraud and forgery in the dispensation of her will against her husband Edward led to the first application of a law that compared known and disputed signatures in New York.
In order to set the record straight, Martin approached the village in 2010 to temporarily rename Piermont Ave. between Hudson and Depew for Cynthia Hesdra. Nyack’s Trustees agreed. Nyack Center Director Kim Cross, who was in attendance at the Board meeting, was so moved by Martin’s scholarship and Hesdra’s accomplishment and marginalization that she asked the Village Board to make the designation permanent, a recommendation accepted by the trustees.
Martin and Hesdra Honored at Upcoming Events
March 14, 2015
the 11th Annual Women of Leadership and Vision brunch at the Nyack Center will honor both Dr. Lori Martin and Cynthia Hesdra In Memoriam. Judith Johnson and Dr. Sharon Quayle will also be honored.
March 14, 2015
The Historical Society of the Nyack will hold an opening reception for our exhibition: An Underground Railroad Monument Comes to Nyack: Honoring Cynthia Hesdra. The exhibit is being curated by Bill Batson and Jennifer Rothschild.
Afternoon dedication ceremony for the Cynthia Hesdra Bench by the Road in Memorial Park.
Hesdra owned two properties on Piermont Avenue. After consulting Rockland County Archives, Historical Society the Nyack President Win Perry described two of Hesdra’s holdings:
“Cynthia was living in New York City on November 24, 1837, when she made her first recorded purchase in Nyack, a 42-foot-wide lot on the east side of Piermont Avenue with frontage on the Hudson River, from her father’s partner, Peter Depew. She bought the lot in the name Cynthia Moore, so it was probably before she married. The lot is now known as 93 Piermont Avenue and is in the Village of Nyack, with the Nyack-South Nyack boundary running along its south side.”
“In 1842 Hesdra purchased another 42-foot lot on the south side of her first lot, and in 1853 she purchased a third lot south of the second. We know exactly where her property was located because this third lot adjoined Diamond Street to the south which led to the river and is now the site of the South Nyack pumping station. These two purchases were also from Peter Depew, but this time she made them in the name “Cynthia D. Hesdra of Nyack”, indicating that sometime between 1837 and 1842 she married and moved to Nyack, perhaps building a house at 93 Piermont Avenue since no other purchases by her or Edward are recorded during this period.”
It is more likely that Hesdra used the 93 Piedmont Avenue location to assist escaping slave make there way to Canada, and freedom.
After a dilapidated structure that Miltof had tranformed into an Underground Railroad shrine was demolished in 2014, the Village of Nyack Board of Trustees created a committee to establish a permanent monument to the presence and experience of the African American community in Rockland County. The goal of the committee was to develop a substantive display that would accommodate individuals and families who might want to comfortably linger to reflect on and celebrate local African American history. Dr. Martin submitted a proposal to the group in May, 2014.
Martin’s research formed the basis of the successful application that the committee made to the Toni Morrison Society’s Bench by the Road Project. On August 1st, Nyack was selected to join over a dozen other communities that host benches including Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina, Oberlin, Ohio, Concord, Massachusetts, Fort-de-France, Martinique and Paris, France.
For more information about the Nyack Bench by the Road, or to donate, visit nyackbench.org.
Bill Batson is an activist, artist and writer who lives in Nyack, NY. “Nyack Sketch Log: cholar Puts Local History on the Map” © 2015 Bill Batson. In Dec. 2014, Batson published “Nyack Sketch Log, An Artist and Writer Explores The History of A Hudson River Village.” Copies of the book can be purchased at billbatsonarts.com.